We know it’s all fun and games for the next week or so (Library Social!), but in no time you’ll be lining up for library time. Here’s a quick roundup of key on-the-go resources and useful tools:
First things first: Security.
Unattended theft is one of the most common crimes on campus. For peace of mind, install a security app like Prey on your device. Prey is free, it works on everything, and the folks at Lifehacker have kindly written a setup guide.
Now, to answer your real questions, can you…
- Find books in Van Pelt with your mobile? Sure.
- Find out where to study, what’s open? PennStudySpaces.
- Check the Libraries’ hours? Here.
- Borrow a video camera, a mic, a tripod and more? Yes.
- Download a Blackboard app? Yes.
- Reserve a Library study room? Anywhere in Van Pelt, including the Weigle Information Commons. Just Biomed. Just Education Commons.
- Find the nearest PennBus / Shuttle stop? PennRides mobile.
- Take a nap? Apparently, yes. Tune out with White Noise.
- Back up your work? Please do. Try Dropbox (2 GB free) or Box (5 GB free).
- Print to Libraries printers from your laptop? Yes.
- Find more apps? We have guides (General, Health Sciences, WIC), or just keep reading along with Apps on Tap.
- Be a power user of… everything? Try a (free) workshop at the Weigle Information Commons.
All that work making you hungry? Don’t miss out on Philly’s delicious food truck scene:
- Track trucks with ChowSpotter and RoamingHunger.
- Twitter fan? Follow FooBooz’s truck list.
- Pay with your phone? Venmo and LevelUp are the most common options.
- Just want a taco? Tacodelphia to the rescue.
And if you want to do it yourself, build your own app at the PennApps Hackathon, September 14-16.
See you soon, and welcome to Penn!