We’ve all heard the phrase “a picture is worth a thousand words.” This can be just as true for the health care provider attempting to diagnose a disease. VisualDx can help health care providers diagnose the causes of skin, eye, and mouth manifestations. The program covers more than 1,200 pediatric and adult conditions and includes over 24,000 related peer-reviewed medical images. An excellent introductory video exists on the VisualDx website.
- Enter symptoms, visual clues, and other patient factors that can potentially lead to a rapid differential diagnosis.
- Enter a drug name to find examples of adverse events and medication-induced diseases related to the drug.
- Search by diagnosis with instant access to concise therapy information and images which can be used for patient education.
Using the Differential Builder option as you enter symptoms and other patient information, VisualDx builds a visual differential diagnosis. The system will not eliminate diagnosis possibilities, but ranks them by relevance based on patient findings from most common to least common conditions. Images included are not just classic presentations of the disease, but show different disease stages and presentations for a number of skin types. There are also links to text that outline therapy, management pearls, ICD-9 codes, and more.
Access VisualDx from your Desktop:
- directly from this url: http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017/106122
- from the Biomedical Library homepage: http://www.library.upenn.edu/biomed
- within electronic medical/health record systems (Epic, Sunrise, & Emtrac)
Access using Mobile Device
VisualDx is designed to be used at the point-of-care. Therefore, in addition to desktop access, VisualDx is accessible via your Apple or Android mobile device. The mobile interface is web based so you will need to be connected to the internet when using on your smartphone or tablet. In order to access via your device, follow these instructions:
- You will need to first access VisualDx on the Penn/UPHS campus.
- Once there, click “Get VisualDx Mobile Free” link on the VisualDx homepage.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to receive a username and password via email.
- Once you have a username and password, you can downolad the free VisualDX Mobile app from the iTunes store or from Google Play.
- iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/app/visualdx/id348177521?mt=8
- Google Play (Google devices): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.visualdx.android
- Launch the app from your device, and sign in using the username and password you created.
Please Provide Feedback
This one year trial access was purchased by the Center for Evidence-based Practice at the University of Pennsylvania Health System with support from PennMedicine’s Chief Medical Information Officer. Your use of the product as well as your feedback will determine whether PennMedicine continues to subscribe. Please use our comments form to provide feedback. We will share your comments with PennMedicine.